Utility Sales Tax Exemptions
Several states allow utility sales tax exemptions based on specific guidelines. Filing these exemptions can reduce your organization’s future utility charges and allows for refunds on past sales tax payments (for refund periods ranging from 36 to 48 months).
Care Purchasing Services (CPS) has partnered with AUTA (American Utility Tax & Audit) since 2013 to ensure our clients are maximizing their savings when it comes to natural gas, water, and electricity sales tax.AUTA’s only service is obtaining the lowest possible sales tax rate on your utility accounts plus any available refunds. AUTA’s one-time fee is 35% of your refund—there are no other charges and no ongoing contract. See what communities have to say about the AUTA service
How do I get my savings and refund?
1. You send AUTA one invoice each for gas, water, and electric
- If your utility accounts are correctly taxed, AUTA will confirm this finding
- If you are being charged a higher than necessary sales tax rate, AUTA will correct it
2. AUTA presents qualifying documents to the utility provider and the Department of Revenue
- Your sales tax savings will start in about 30–60 days!
3. AUTA provides required information to the refunding entity
- Sales tax refunds will be issued in about 1 to 6 months
- AUTA bills you the one-time fee (35% of refund) when refund has been confirmed
Which states allow utility sales tax exemptions?
For-Profit: Connecticut | Florida | Kansas | Minnesota | Missouri | New York | South Carolina | Texas | Wisconsin
Non-Profit: Arizona | Colorado | Connecticut | Florida | Georgia | Indiana | Kansas | Michigan | Minnesota | Missouri | New York | Pennsylvania | South Carolina | Tennessee | Texas | Vermont | West Virginia | Wisconsin | Wyoming
How do I get started?
Fill out the following form, and CPS will be in touch with you shortly!
Like what you’re reading? Sign Up to Receive the Latest News from CPS
Care Purchasing Services (CPS) connects organizations to hundreds of carefully vetted vendors in plant operations, food service, medical supplies, therapy, pharmacy, and more. Through its extensive network of vendor partners, CPS provides value-added programs to thousands of communities nationwide, helping them improve their operations with measurable results.