Spellman Brady & Company | The Heritage at Brentwood
Long-standing CPS vendor partner Spellman Brady & Company, a full service, interior planning firm, recently completed a largescale project comprising interior design, furniture, and artwork at The Heritage at Brentwood, a life plan senior living community in Tennessee.
Spellman Brady coordinated the interior design of five separate areas of construction in conjunction with architecture firm HFR Design and CPS vendors. The project affected almost all aspects of the community, including living, dining, wellness, and entertainment.
- Independent Living: Addition of three IL wings, including three floors and 100+ apartments, corridors, lobby, and lounge spaces. Spellman established four to five interior palette and upgrade options, which residents choose when moving in.
- Assisted Living: AL addition is accessible through the exterior or through the health center and includes small household-style living, living room, dining room, and activity room.
- Clubhouse: The clubhouse within Independent Living was designed as a destination for dining with two different venues—one new space that is more casual to the more formal existing dining room.
- Wellness: Addition included a full-service salon, two fitness rooms to accommodate group activities and exercise equipment, and a natatorium—an added (and appreciated) amenity for residents.
- Auditorium: Addition of a multi-purpose space for concerts and gatherings of 200 to 300 people, connecting through Independent Living. Includes a pre-function space and a large auditorium, which can be broken down to three separate spaces and used for external functions.
Alicia Nicolay, IIDA, RID, NCIDQ, Director of Design and Project Manager at Spellman Brady & Company, explains the change of course in the design of the additions:
“Initially, we were to match the details of the existing environment, but about halfway through, the direction changed towards refreshing the style. We used the current design details and implemented a fresher, traditional style that makes for a nice transition from the current space to the additions.”
Feedback and Next Steps
Regarding the additions, feedback from The Heritage staff and residents has been positive. The residents like having dining options, and the addition of a natatorium and auditorium are a selling point for the community.
“This project has been in the plans for several years, and the final, delivered product exceeded all of our expectations,” says Jon Tagatz, Executive Director at The Heritage at Brentwood.
Future projects are already on the horizon for Spellman Brady & Company and The Heritage at Brentwood. Next year, Spellman Brady will be undertaking the library and cardroom renovations as well as new flooring in the clubhouse.
“The great thing about continuing our relationship with The Heritage is that we can carry the design style throughout other areas of the property, and we already have the trust of the staff and residents,” states Alicia. “At Spellman Brady, we’re passionate about creating spaces to improve the well-being of seniors and my goal personally is to give back any way I can.”
Like what you’re reading? Sign Up to Receive the Latest News from CPS
Care Purchasing Services (CPS) connects organizations to hundreds of carefully vetted vendors in plant operations, food service, medical supplies, therapy, pharmacy, and more. Through its extensive network of vendor partners, CPS provides value-added programs to thousands of communities nationwide, helping them improve their operations with measurable results.